5/5 - (11 votes)
Summary:-The child accounts of multiple domains added to the Office 365 suite are called a tenant account. Therefore, sometimes people need to migrate data from one tenant of a specific Office 365 suite to another tenant of a different Office 365 suite. So, in this article, you can explore the ways to perform Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration. You can use either of thoseOffice 365 Backup-Softwareor try some manual methods to move emails from one O365 tenant to another.
Download buy now
Table of contents
What is a tenant in the Office 365 suite?
Because a landlord can have multiple tenants in their building, the Office 365 suite can also have multiple accounts under one parent account. So, the multiple accounts from different domains are called tenants and fall under one parent account. The need for tenant-to-tenant migration can arise at any time and there are many reasons for this issue. So let's look at some of the reasons for migrating from tenant to tenant in Office 365.
Reasons for migrating from tenant to tenant in Office 365
There are a number of reasons for migrating Office 365 from one tenant to another tenant. You just have to check them all.
Modification-A company may decide to change the domain name or names from time to time. As a result, they need to transfer their mailbox information to a new tenant using a different name and/or domain.
Guide-When a company decides to move all of its data to a new tenant, it must adapt to the new policies. To comply with new tenant regulations, a company may need Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration.
consolidation of tenantsA company may have multiple Office 365 tenants and want to merge them into one tenant to reduce costs and simplify administration. So you need to migrate all tenants to one place.
Extension-Want to switch from O365 to other tenants to increase development and flexibility in their own company.
The above reasons justify why people migrate from one Office 365 tenant to another. Let's explore some of the simple procedures to perform Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration.
Practices for migrating from tenant to tenant Microsoft 365 (Office 365).
There are two ways you can move all emails from one tenant to another. You can get the job done in few steps with Office 365 backup tool. Otherwise, if you choose the manual solution, there are many steps to be implemented and prerequisites to be met. You can try both methods and choose the one that suits you best.
- Use automated Office 365 backup software
- Manual practices for migrating from tenant to tenant in Office 365
- tenant migration
Use automated Office 365 backup software
As I have already told you, the manual process of tenant to tenant email migration is quite lengthy, so you can verify the migration via Office 365 backup tool first. This method will probably solve your problem. But if you are a techie then you can go with the manual method.
Steps to migrate one tenant from O365 to another
- DownloadSysinfo Office 365 Backup-Softwareand start it.
- Then mark theModern authenticationpossibility andEnter your parent Office 365E-Mail-Addresse.
- Authenticate the loginProcess and selectAssign impersonationOption to get tenant email addresses.
- After logging in, clickImport CSVoption and make sure the CSV file is theE-mail addresses of tenantsinside.
- The software shows theConnectedstatus next to thatRenterthat are linkedparentAccount.
- Now you can mark the option betweenmailbox, online archive, AndPublic folderthat you want to migrate to another tenant. Click onNextto continue.
- you can see allBinderpresent in theRenteryou chose. Highlight the items you want and then clickNext.
- Then inSave asoption, chooseOffice 365and authenticate theRegistrationprocess ofRenterto which you want to move the other tenants.
- Once the authentication is complete, you can apply the necessary features of the software if needed and clickNextTaste.
- At the end you can see the tenant's email addresssource tenantsand the tenant's email addresstarget tenants. Confirm them and click theConvertTaste.
- All emails and other items are migrated from one tenant to another in Office 365.
This is the shortest and easiest way to perform Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration without data loss. You don't need to do any preparations before the migration as it has to be done manually. Just download the software displayEnter Parent ID > Get Office 365 Tenant > Select Target Tenant > Migrate Office 365 Tenant.
Manual practices for migrating from tenant to tenant in Office 365
This Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration method has distinct stages. You have to go through all the stages to complete the whole task manually.
phase before migration
Step 1- The first step is to prepare the domain.
Create the domain by following the provided instructions:
- Check if you have enough subscriptions for Office 365 account.
- To ensure a smooth start of the migration process, administrative profiles must be created in both the source and target systems.
- Target the inboxes of individual users, rooms and resources, and distribution groups.
- If necessary, work to consolidate AD DS using AD DS tools and portably synchronize the source domain with the target domain.
- After completing the changeover, you should also train your end customers in the use of Office 365.
Step 2: Complete an online domain verification
- First, let's start with verifying the objective tenant address in Office 365.
- After this step, add a source domain to the objective Office 365 admin center and then create TXT records in DNS.
Take precautions to ensure only one tenant uses the address. If this is not corrected, the authentication procedure will end unexpectedly.
After authentication is complete, it takes about three days before adjustments can be expected.
Step 3: Schedule your migration process.
- Start by generating a CSV file for mapping purposes and assembling individual inboxes that you want to transfer from the start.
- Now note the TTL rating, which is said to be the lowest in the MX record. (the primary email domain).
- Intentionally disable directory synchronization for the original tenant. (from the Office 365 admin center).
Phase 4 of the Office 365 tenant migration process
- Stop the flow of email in Office 365
You can stop the flow of incoming emails to the source tenant either by replacing the main MS record with an unpredictable number or by getting help from a third-party application. Since you have already determined the lowest acceptable TTL value for the MX record (the native email address) during the preparation process, you can set the target period for this phase according to this value.
- Switch the Office 365 subscription to a different tenant
Before you begin migrating your Office 365 account to a different tenant, you must first remove all instances of the primary email domain from things owned by the primary tenant.
- Change the primary email address back to the email address that came with Office 365 (the native email address).
- Then use the Lync admin portal to remove any Lync subscriptions associated with the primary tenant.
- Now you need to restore the distribution's primary email address, rooms, and groups to the native domain.
- Then remove the additional email ID from each tenant entity.
- In Windows PowerShell, run the Get-MsolUser -DomainName xyz.com command. This will fetch all items using the main email address or refuse to remove them.
- After that, we examine the steps that need to be taken to successfully complete an Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration.
Get ready for the target domain
Check if the source tenant in the target domain is part of it. (There must be a gap of 1 hour between this step and the previous step).
- Change the CNAME auto-detection setting in the Start menu.
- After using AD FS, you now need to create an entirely new domain within the target tenant for AD FS.
- Accredit licenses and activate the brand new user profiles created in the target domain.
- The newly created accounts should have their main email address configured to come from the originating domain. (do it with Windows PowerShell). Also, reach consensus on how credentials are delivered to end users.
- Now that each address is up and running, you should change the email routing and point the MX record to the brand new Office 365 email ID.
- Check how much mail is coming in and going out of the target tenant.
After that, follow the instructions below to perform the Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration.
The pre-migration phase is complete here, and now all you have to do is migrate Office 365 tenants from one to another.
Steps to migrate from one tenant to another in O365
If there are fewer than 500 people, you should transfer the e-mail calendar and contacts separately to the tenant's intended mailbox. When transferring e-mails, the migration procedure should be time-limited. If you have more than 500 people, consider using the multi-pass technique to transfer the mailbox data in multiple batches. That's because it's more efficient. You also have the option to transfer just contacts, just a week of information, calendars, etc.
This is how you can do Office 365 tenant to tenant migration step by step with a manual method.
Now it's up to you to figure out the best way to perform the migration. You can opt for the time-consuming manual process or use the time-saving Office 365 Backup Tool. The physical method is recommended if you have a thorough understanding of Office 365 and the tenants within it. If you want the most convenient option for migrating from tenant to tenant in Office 365, you should use the automated software.
frequently asked Questions
Q.What is cross-tenant migration?
Ans-Cross-tenant mailbox migration allows tenant admins to opt for familiar graphical interfaces like Exchange Online PowerShell and MRS to transfer users to their new domain or organization.
Q.What is the best software for Office 365 tenant to tenant migration?
Ans–Sysinfo Office 365 Backup Tool is a reliable and efficient third-party utility. It helps users in the effortless Office 365 tenant to tenant migration process.